Hotel RivaLago Review | Where To Stay in Franciacorta
If you take your visits to wine country as seriously as I do, then you understand the importance of where you stay during your trip. On my recent press trip to the impressive Italian sparkling wine region of Franciacorta I had the pleasure of staying at Hotel RivaLago, located in Sulzano, Italy on the beautiful shores of crystal clear Lake Iseo. After spending 5 nights at this elegant and airy boutique property I can confidently say this its charms undeniably added to my overall experience that week.
Hotel RivaLago’s large pool swimming pool benefits from an ideal location directly on the lake. Guests can also enjoy an alfresco meal from the full-service restaurant onsite. I highly recommend the duck carpaccio and caprese salad.
It was such a pleasure enjoying my morning coffee while overlooking this stunning view of Lake Iseo from my room. Americano coffee was included with the complimentary breakfast buffet and room-service was kind enough to deliver it to my room so that I could get an early start on a busy day visiting top Franciacorta producers.
Guestrooms are clean, bright and airy with more space than you find in many European hotels. I will say that the casper mattress wasn’t as comfortable as I would have liked. It could have been my own preference though.
The lobby and front desk area is quaint, tastefully decorated and convenient to guestrooms. I looked forward to the complimentary breakfast buffet each morning. There was a generous selection that remained consistent each day, including favorites like hot scrambled eggs, fresh pastries, yogurt and granola, fresh fruit, assorted juices and even complimentary sparkling wine/mimosas. There was something for everyone!
Breakfast begins at 7am sharp, and I recommend getting downstairs early so that you can grab one of these fantastic tables directly on the lake. While I wouldn’t say it ever felt crowded, these prime tables were certainly popular Hotel RivaLago guests and did fill up as the morning went on. The friendly waitstaff is attentive and happy to bring you coffee to your table, as there are no drip coffee stations at the buffet – each one is made to order in true European fashion.
The view from the penthouse rooms, which had their own private terrace
Sunsets from Hotel RivaLago were simply stunning.
The Particulars | What You Need To Know About Hotel RivaLago
Location: Via L. Cadorna, 7, 25058 Sulzano BS, Italy
Phone: +39 030 985011
Number of Rooms: 35
Nightly Rates: From €136 to €238 (Roughy $150 to $262 based on current exchange rates)
Wi-Fi? Yes, complimentary Wi-Fi is available to all guests.
Overall Impression: Imagine a charming lakefront getaway to glitzy Lake Como at a fraction of the price.
Rating: 4 / 5 Stars
Know Before You Go:
- Parking is not available onsite, but there is a lot conveniently located nearby where guests can park their cars for a modest fee of 8 Euro per night.
- The Sulzano train station is a short 3 minute walk from the hotel.
- Unlike hotels in the United States, many European hotels are not staffed overnight, which may come as a surprise to guests. Be sure to check with the front desk to confirm hours of operation, as the lobby doors were locked overnight and guests do not have key access.
- Air conditioning is available in all guest rooms but the system only operates when your room key is inserted in the card reader inside the room. It took my system several hours to cool completely upon arriving after dinner. Upon voicing my concerns to the front desk, they were able to cool the room remotely without the key inserted – so that I was able to return to a cool room. Keeping the drapes closed also helped to keep the room nice and cool while I was out exploring Franciacorta.
- There is no coffee available before breakfast begins at 7am. On my day of departure, I had a very early flight and the front desk was kind enough to leave out an electric coffee maker and a lite breakfast for me – now that’s service!
*All photos except that of coffee with a view are courtesy of Hotel RivaLago. No consideration was received for this post.